Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Fat Traveller's first post

So, I was told yesterday as I talked about how I am treated overseas as a fat white person that I should blog about it and let America know.  So, this is me blogging about it.

I will post things about how to travel more comfortably as a fat person on a budget and what to pack etc.  But for this post I just want to talk about how I was treated while in Ethiopia.

I travelled to Ethiopia in 2010 as a part of a professor led research team at my university (I am not the traditional college student, btw).  We were to spend a month in Ethiopia mapping the Gorge of the Nile which is similar to the Grand Canyon in the U.S.  I won't bore you with the work we did.  What I will say is that in that country I was treated with deferrence and respect, which is VERY unlike the States.  Here I am treated like I am invisible at the best of times.  But there as a fat person, I was wearing the evidence of my wealth on my person, it was more effective than if I had been driving a solid gold car and was encrusted with jewels.  It was amazing.  Even though I was one of the undergrads on the trip and so basically a peon or a grunt, the locals in restaurants and in hotels all acted like I was the final say on things.

This is not the first time that being a Fat Traveller has aided me it is just the most notable reaction.  I hope you enjoy the stories and tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment